Madonna University is proud of its long-standing commitment to quality liberal arts education and public service. Founded by the Felician sisters of Livonia as Presentation Junior College in 1937, in 1947 it was renamed Madonna College and incorporated as a baccalaureate institution. It became coeducational in 1972, initiated its first graduate program in 1982, and achieved University status in 1991. In 2003, MU absorbed the students and selected programs of St. Mary’s College of Orchard Lake
Celebrating nearly 70 years of academic excellence, Madonna University maintains its tradition as an independent Catholic Franciscan University. A pioneer in opening its doors to both older and younger adults with divers economic, religious, social, and cultural backgrounds, the University remains committed to its belief in the spiritual, educational and service oriented mission: Education for truth, goodness, and service.